MENTAL MATH BENEFITS
What are the benefits of starting early?
- Besides all the advantages related to brain development, by starting this program at a very young age, the child can grasp the concepts of arithmetic calculation early, and the child will be ready for a math level higher than their grade level.
Does my child benefit if he starts late in this program?
- All children take the same amount of time to learn the fundamental abacus techniques; the older kids can jump to higher levels much quicker later onwards and can compensate for the late start of this program while getting the same lifelong benefits of this program.
How long does it take for a child to learn mental math?
- Our Mental Math program is a very structured program. There are eight levels in all, and each level takes an estimated three months to complete. A lot of parents may observe improvement in math performance after completion of Level 2, but it takes at least two years for the program to complete and receive all the permanent benefits associated with this program.
How does abacus mental math help the school work?
- Children learn numbers by counting on their fingers, and it becomes very challenging to comprehend the numbers beyond the number 10. Abacus helps children overcome this problem by presenting the numbers and their relationships as concrete beads instead of the abstract method used for regular mathematics.
Performing mental calculations assist in enhancing the memory and improve the concentration of the child. Speed writing improves the reflexes of the child which helps them respond to the problems promptly, whereas oral calculations make the child an attentive listener. This program uses the multisensory techniques which involve coordination of visual (eyes), auditory (ears), kinesthetic (motor memory), and tactile (hands) senses to learn. This kind of multisensory teaching has been found to be very effective for students with learning disabilities too. Overall, the abacus training provides assistance in making the child more confident and focused in the school.
DOES THE CHILD IMPROVE ONLY IN MATHEMATICS OR IN OTHER SUBJECTS TOO?
- The child shows remarkable improvement in all the subjects including mathematics. The concept of thinking in pictures leads to better understanding and enhanced memory, which is the basis for all academic studies. The use of Abacus as a manipulative deepens and extend students understanding of mathematical concepts, and we have numerous testimonials from parents highlighting their experiences on how the children have acquired a positive attitude towards mathematics and applied their knowledge in other curriculum areas, including science and language.
Will my child get confused between abacus math and school math?
- Abacus is a tool which uses mental math techniques to solve simple to complex arithmetic calculations without using a calculator. Therefore it can be considered as just another math manipulative. In fact, Elementary School Curriculum also recognizes the importance of the use of manipulatives for supporting the effective learning of mathematics by all students and highlights the role of Abacus as an example in building a strong conceptual understanding of place values.
Does this program help a child who has been struggling with school math?
- Children who find difficulty in following the traditional method used in school to teach math are the ones who benefit the most out of this program if they are committed to this program by being regular in their homework. The concept of converting numbers into pictures helps them understand and perform math skills better, thereby helping them improve their grades in school.
If my child has been an A+ student in math, what is the need to learn abacus math?
- For a child who excels in school math, the Mental Math program helps them work faster on more complicated Math operations with greater accuracy, thereby bringing out the genius within them.
Does my child get any homework?
- Yes, the children are expected to complete their homework which they get after each class. Regular practice ensures timely completion of each level.
How is Megamind Mental Math program different from Math programs offered by other schools?
- Megamind Mental Math provides an interesting method of learning Math by beads which utilize logic rather than boring and repetitive work sheets offered by other schools.